6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 8:08 AM by straxy RSS

Unable to install the amd driver correctly

mannerov Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I have a i5 hd4000 graphics and a amd hd7730m and I run Kubuntu 12.10 (64bits system)

I did several tries to install the 12.11 beta drivers, but I didn't worked.

I did the same with 13.01, but I have the same issues.

The issues I have:

I build the .deb:

sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal

Then I install them:

sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

That gives:

Selecting previously unselected package fglrx.

(Reading database ... 172779 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking fglrx (from fglrx_9.012-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...

Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-amdcccle.

Unpacking fglrx-amdcccle (from fglrx-amdcccle_9.012-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...

Selecting previously unselected package fglrx-dev.

Unpacking fglrx-dev (from fglrx-dev_9.012-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...

Setting up fglrx (2:9.012-0ubuntu1) ...

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)

Loading new fglrx-9.012 DKMS files...

First Installation: checking all kernels...

Building only for 3.5.0-22-generic

Building for architecture x86_64

Building initial module for 3.5.0-22-generic

kbuildsycoca4 running...

Done.

fglrx:

Running module version sanity check.

- Original module

- No original module exists within this kernel

- Installation

- Installing to /lib/modules/3.5.0-22-generic/updates/dkms/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.

Processing triggers for ureadahead ...

Setting up fglrx-amdcccle (2:9.012-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up fglrx-dev (2:9.012-0ubuntu1) ...

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-22-generic

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Everythin seems ok, except:

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/fglrx/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

I then run sudo amdconfig --initial -f

Uninitialised file found, configuring.

PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibglx:

update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules with a link

Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-9

Then I tries to launch amdcccle, but it won't, saying my driver is not correctly installed.

I think I should restart my computer. I do, but the X server is unable to launch, I have to delete xorg.conf to launch my computer.

I then try to uninstall the amd driver,

sudo amdconfig --uninstall says:

Uninstaller for AMD Catalyst (TM) Proprietary Driver, /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh, does not exist or cannot be found.

I then remove the .deb packages

Removing fglrx-amdcccle ...

Removing fglrx-dev ...

Removing fglrx ...

Removing all DKMS Modules

Done.

update-alternatives: removing manually selected alternative - switching x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf to auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/pxpress/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdcccle because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdcccle (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdcccle.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdcccle.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/share/applications/ubuntu-amdccclesu.desktop because associated file /usr/share/fglrx/amdccclesu.desktop (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdupdaterandrconfig (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/bin/amdxdg-su because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/bin/amdxdg-su (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist

update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules with a link

update-alternatives: removing manually selected alternative - switching i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf to auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/pxpress/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode

Processing triggers for ureadahead ...

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-22-generic

kbuildsycoca4 running...

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...

ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Even after the deinstallation, there is something broken:

sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf

There is only one alternative in link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf (providing /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf): /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf

Nothing to configure.

update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/ld.so.conf because link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken

I hope these details will help you to fix the drivers. I saw on the net that many people have similar issues.

• Re: Unable to install the amd driver correctly
    sungin Newbie

the same problem using 7600mseries

mannerov Newbie

I finally managed to install the amd drivers by installing them from this ppa :

https://launchpad.net/~andrikos/+archive/ppa

I've read that the package from this ppa has a patch to better detect intel drivers and that I didn't succedded installing the driver myself because of this issue of bad detection (the warnings I had may have nothing to do with it).

However I have a problematic issue: one times on two, my X serveur fails to initialise because of an error like "unable to handle the kernel paging request" and after I have lines quoting fglrx.

I've read that people had this issue years before and that installing the driver by building the packages by ourselves (which didn't work for me) solve the issue.

I had four years ago a desktop with amd cpu and amd graphics, and I remember always fearing everytime an error with the X server, and I had so much issue that I abandonned and go to the open source driver. However I have today a laptop and I want the catalyst driver to benefit from better energy management.

So please fix your next drivers to better install/detect intel drivers/do not often crash the X server.

Maybe you should contact the guy who made the ppa to understand what he did improve in the installation process.

I think the priorities of the catalyst driver should be:

. Better installation process (I saw on internet that many other people complains about that)

. Stops crashing sometimes the X server

. Better behave with old/new distributions/ kernels

and also:

. implements compatibility with new xorg versions and new kernel before they are ready and used (As nvidia: they already support X.org 1.14, then they won't have people complaining about this not being supported when they'll need it)

I think improving performances, ... should come after everything I says above.

Thank you, I really believe that the drivers will become a lot better and many people won't complain anymore if the above issues are fixed.

siavash Newbie

Yeah, stable and compatible drivers are more important to Linux users. What people really need in first place is their drivers working with latest xorg-server and kernels on release date, which I think it could be accomplished through micro updates.

Dynamic schedule for driver releases is not really going to work in Linux, because of quick updates and constant improvements to the Linux kernel and xorg-server, compared to yearly Windows releases.

Another thing I like to add is to have a bug tracker or wish list and some kind of Announcement thread with weekly/monthly updates containing bug fixes and improvements going on both mainline and legacy drivers. That way users will find a confident feeling about developers caring about them and being noticed.

mannerov Newbie

I tryed to install the last beta drivers, I had some issues, but now it WORKS !!!

After installing the drivers, my xorg server didn't launched because fglrx was blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-local.conf. I don't know how this blacklist happened, probably automatically since the old drivers didn't work on my system.

Now my system works well and I have no more issues for the moment.

Thank you Amd!

( Maybe the next drivers should test that fglrx is not blacklisted )

I saw there: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450&page=64 that other people got it working, but some have some issues with external screens. They probably don't know this forum and then don't post here, that's why I give you the link.

More Like This

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points