4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2013 8:00 AM by steabert RSS

Issue with ACML dcopy on AMD Opteron 6276

steabert Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I've been having this odd problem with the dcopy function in the ACML blas library. When copying a lot of elements (~10**9), dcopy seems to fail at a certain point. I tested this with the included small fortran program. The odd thing is that with my system blas everything works fine. When I tried MKL, it also failed at the exact same point. When I run the code on an intel processor, it also runs fine.

I used ACML 5.2.0 on AMD Opteron 6276, Linux 3.2.0-23 x86_64, and compiled as follows: gfortran test_dcopy.f /opt/acml5.2.0/gfortran64/lib/libacml.a

kind regards,

Steven

• Issue with ACML dcopy on AMD Opteron 6276
    steabert Newbie

Update: it seems to be a problem that was introduced in version 4.3.0. The new features section of 4.3.0 mentions: "Level 1 BLAS routines have been tuned for AMD Istanbul processors. Routines affected include xDOT, xCOPY, xAXPY, and xSCAL routines."

When I tried my small test case with dcopy from ACML 4.2.0 it works, with 4.3.0 it fails.

• Re: Issue with ACML dcopy on AMD Opteron 6276
      Chip Freitag Moderator

I think this will be considered a bug.   The problem is caused by an intermediate result that multiplies N by the element size.  Any time this overflows a 32-bit integer the routine will fail.  This problem will happen in any of the Level 1 copy routines, at different values of N depending on the size of an array element.

The test does work if you build and link with the 64-bit integer library, and that may be considered a work around.

For all of the blas routines, at some point arrays are too large to use 32-bit address computation and it is necessary to use the 64-bit integer libraries. We can change the copy routines to delay the size at which this occurs - as you point out it used to work!

This will be resolved in our upcoming 5.3 release.

The information presented in this reply is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

More Like This

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points