22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2013 8:12 PM by himanshu.gautam RSS

Does not yet support the A10 on linux?

parkjhp Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I bought A10 notebook(HP g6 2002ax, A10-4600M(+7660G) + HD7670M, ubuntu11.10x64) for OpenCL Programming

Ubuntu is running normally

But, there is some problem on OpenCL

I can find 7670M & A10-4600(CPU) for OpenCL

but, I cant find 7660G for OpenCL(ckeck it use clinfo)

I intalled catalyst 12.04 first and AMD APP SDK 2.7 next.

Did I do something wrong? or

AMD APP SDK does not yet support the A10 on linux?

• Re: Does not yet support the A10 on linux?
    settle Novice

Since a similar thing happens with my A8 notebook (HP dv6z-6b000 with an A8-3530MX and an Radeon HD 6750M), The problem is more fundamental in the driver, part of which requires that a screen be initialized on a AMD graphics device if it is to be used in an OpenCL application.

If you use the command line aticonfig you can switch between the igpu and dgpu (rebooting may be required), but clinfo only recognizes the active gpu since that's the one on which the screen is initialized.  If you can hook up crossfire with the two graphics devices then the screen is initialized seemlessly across both devices and you should see both in clinfo.

If you get this to work how I think you want it to work (both fully functional independent of the other), please let me know how.

Novice

Here's what I heard back --

"My guess is that this is an HP BIOS problem.

It sound like the laptop has both the integrated GPU and a discrete mobile GPU (?) and the drivers only see the dGPU.

There are BIOS switches to enable / disable the GPUs.  I do not know if both GPUs can be enabled simultaneously – have not tried it.

He should be able to run on the 7670M just fine."

Is this helpful?

Kristen

Check out the open source project Aparapi - an API for Java devs that converts Java bytecode to OpenCL

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

jape Newbie

I have the same problem on my toshiba Satellite-S875D (A10 + HD 7610M).  Both devices are recognized, but only one GPU (and the cpu) is reported with clinfo: 

jape@jape-Satellite-S875D:~/Downloads$ aticonfig --list-adapters

* 0. 00:01.0 AMD Radeon HD 7660G  

1. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series   

jape@jape-Satellite-S875D:~/Downloads$ clinfo

Number of platforms:                            1  

Platform Profile:                              FULL_PROFILE  

Platform Version:                              OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1)  

Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing  

Platform Vendor:                               Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.  

Platform Extensions:                           cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices    

Platform Name:                                 AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing

Number of devices:                               2  

Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU  

Device ID:                                     4098  

Board name:                                    AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series  

Device Topology:                               PCI[ B#1, D#0, F#0 ]  

Max compute units:                             5

Any thoughts? 

jp

nou Expert

do you export DISPLAY=:0 ? default value cause that only first GPU is visible.

jape Newbie

OK.  I was able to get the 7660G (A10 processor) to show up under clinfo by using aticonfig to swap the active gpu to be the embedded one :

sudo aticonfig  --px-igpu

and then restart X.

clinfo:

Number of platforms:                         1
            Platform Profile:                          FULL_PROFILE
            Platform Version:                          OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (923.1)
            Platform Name:                             AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
            Platform Vendor:                           Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
            Platform Extensions:                       cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices

Platform Name:                             AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
          Number of devices:                           2
            Device Type:                               CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU
            Device ID:                                 4098
            Board name:                                AMD Radeon HD 7660G
            Device Topology:                           PCI[ B#0, D#1, F#0 ]

Now I just need to figure out how to get both GPUs enabled, like under windows.

regards

jp

pbcpbt Newbie

My clinfo also shows only 7600m and CPU, but aticonfig shows both 7660g (default) and 7600m.

In fact when I start any sample from AMD APP SDK 2.8 it only let me use 7660g and/or CPU but not 7600m!!!

pbcpbt Newbie

It works for me too.

In fact 7660g works faster than 7670m but it does not work with OpenGL applications for some reason

heman Newbie

hi pbcpbt,

can you tell, how you made the two gpus work together. Was it a problem related to setting some environment variable.

I will try to check this, if i can arrange a similar configuration at my end.

Thanks

workitem7

pbcpbt Newbie

I could not make them work together.

I only can switch between them using either catalyst control center or aticonfig.

himanshu.gautam Master

hi pbcpbt,

I was finally able to use both the integrated as well as discrete GPU for OpenCL computation. clinfo shows all the three devices ( A10 CPU + discrete GPU + IGPU).

Here are the settings i used. I hope they can help you:

1. Connect a monitor each to DGPU and to IGPU. Maybe dummy connectors works, but not sure about that.

2. In BIOS settings, select "IGPU" as primary GPU and use "force" option to enable Integrated Graphics.

3. Do export DISPLAY=:0

4. Do aticonfig --adapter=all --initial

5. Now check if two adapters are displayed using aticonfig --list-adapters or by using lspci | grep "VGA"

6. Run clinfo. I was able to see all the devices. And was select any of the GPUs while running a APP SDK sample.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Himanshu , Bruhaspati

--------------------------------

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

scharupa Newbie

Hello pbcpbt - you need to connect a  dispaly to 7660g to work the OpenGL application. The GL window should be available.

Is it a laptop or desktop configuration?

madscientist3dfx Newbie

We are working on developing a bios kernel as the A10 was not put in Kernal until late 3.7 and fully supported in 3.8 kernal

• Does not yet support the A10 on linux?
    madscientist3dfx Newbie

I will have a couple of my guys run some test on a similar system tomarrow and we will try to get you a fix

More Like This

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points